“The Berkeley Earth Surface Temperature project puts PR before peer review” (2011-10-20). Remember the Berkeley Earth Surface Temperature (BEST) study begun by the “reliable” Dr. Richard Muller? Their results are in and it seems Anthony Watts has been run over by reality and taken away by the wahhhhhambulance.
Back in March Anthony seemed sure that the BEST study would be free of the corruption, manipulation and deception, unlike everything the thousands of other climate scientists had produced. He declared that he was “prepared to accept whatever result they produce, even if it proves my premise wrong.”
Suddenly, for some reason, Anthony’s tune has changed. Now Anthony is disgusted by Dr. Muller’s “media blitz” of his results. Results that, inconveniently, confirm all the conventional analyses of modern temperature trends and completely gut Anthony’s years of false criticisms.
Did you know that “Not one of the BEST papers have completed peer review“? It’s sort of true! Never mind that Anthony spent literally years falsely pre-announcing that his own amateur surface-stations “study” would prove that the rising temperature trend in the USA was the product of biased weather station choice and changing urban environments. Never mind that releasing pre-publication versions of scientific papers is a widespread practice, and never mind that the paper that Anthony was eventually able to help produce couldn’t support his own claims.
Did you know that “a basic procedural error that has been discovered in the methodology that will likely require a rework of the data and calculations, and thus the conclusions may also change“? Eagle-eyed Anthony has discovered that Dr. Muller used too much data! The first rule of cherry picking is to ignore as much data as possible, don’t you know.
Also, despite of Anthony’s habit of continuously posting articles noting localized cold or snow, Anthony wants you to know that “the issue of ‘the world is warming’ is not one that climate skeptics question, it is the magnitude and causes.” Even he’s given up on that. Technically.
Addition: Here’s the BEST’s global temperature trend compared to the three historical temperature trends created by evil, cheating, communist, climatologists. Break out your magnifying glasses and you’ll see that the differences are enormous!
Whether or not the world is really warming, Anthony’s certainly feeling the burn. From Open Mind:
In my opinion it’s clear what Watts is really upset about — the results from the Berkeley team have confirmed that the other main global temperature estimates (NASA GISS, NOAA/NCDC, and HadCRU) got it right, and that station siting/urban heat island effects are not responsible for any of the observed temperature increase. The real reason all these analyses (including Berkeley’s) show temperature rise is: the globe is warming.
I’ll add links to other websites covering this entertaining development as I find them.
- Hot Dog Bites Skeptical Man: Koch-Funded Berkeley Temperature Study Does “Confirm the Reality of Global Warming” (Climate Progress)
- BEST busts Urban Heat Island Myth (Desmogblog.com)
- Berkeley Earth Surface Temperature Study: “The effect of urban heating on the global trends is nearly negligible” and The BEST Kind of Skepticism (Skeptical Science)
- New Berkeley Study Does Not Sway Global-Warming Skeptics (NY Times)
- Breaking News: The Earth Still Goes Around the Sun, and It’s Still Warming Up (Forbes)
- Climate Skeptics Take Another Hit (Mother Jones)
- New independent climate study confirms global warming is real (Bad Astronomy)
- Initial thoughts on the Berkeley Earth Surface Temperature release and Grasping at straws – Watts, GWPF vs. Reality, Berkeley Earth (The Way Things Break)
- Skeptical Research Effort Confirms Global Warming, Again (Scientific American)
- Climate skeptics perform independent analysis, finally convinced Earth is getting warmer (Ars Technica) [Well, some skeptics…]
- Berkeley earthquake called off (Real Climate)